An Introduction to Me | Start of My PgCert Journey

Hello, so this is my first blog post for my PgCert in Academic Practice. My name is Elliott Hall and I am a Specialist Technician in Wearable Technology at the London College of Fashion – essentially I work with students to help them incorporate physical computing elements into Garments, Artefacts and Retail Experience’s. On paper the main aspects of my role are to create workshops, run and maintain a safe and usable lab space for wearable tech including procuring the equipment that is needed to go with that, alongside supporting students directly. Examples of my some of the exciting work I have had the pleasure of supporting students with includes Ai enhanced garments that judge the garment owner for mistreating their clothing. Robotic installation work that questions the intersection of the physical and digital fashions worlds, but also garments designed for medical benefits such as inflating/massaging clothing.

An image showing how sensors can read real world data, and then the garment can react to this data using actuators. An example of an actuator is a motor, fan, speakers. An example scenario is a tempreature sensor may tell the jacket it is to hot, the garment can then cool its self down my turning on the fan.

Within my role I cover areas from conceptual design, programming, robotics and physical computing (embedding different types of sensors and actuators), 3D design and prototyping, projection mapping and VFX, alongside electrical skills such as soldering. I believe wearable tech / physical computing to be an exciting and cutting edge area in the field of art and design across a whole range of disciplines – but have accepted it will take some time to raise the interest and uptake in this area within the London College of Fashion, and hope to my best to create an ecosystem that supports students from conception, production to exhibition.

Outside of my Job at LCF, I am a design tutor with an MA in Interaction Design from LCC and wish to continue my research into a practice based PhD. With keen interests revolve around Phenomenology, Human Experience, Existentialism, Death Anxiety and Transformative Experience Design; and hope that I can bring my research interests into this work.

You can read more about my work at: elliotthall.co.uk

This entry was posted in Term 1. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to An Introduction to Me | Start of My PgCert Journey

1. Zoi Zoupanou says:

What is striking my attention is your image. It looks cool!
    Your content is a detailed one with information about your job role.

2. Ooh! Death anxiety. What triggered your interest in that?
    Have you come across Roland Griffiths’ work on end-of-life anxiety and psychedelic therapy? After decades spent easing the anxiety of cancer patients through spiritual experience, Roland passed away himself from cancer back in October. It lends his work extra poignancy. He was such a lovely guy.